Paris Attacks: Breaking news and updates

Paris Attacks: Breaking news and updates
Photo Credit To GETTY IMAGES

On the evening of 13 November 2015, a series of coordinated terrorist attacks—consisting of mass shootings, suicide bombings and hostage-taking—occurred in Paris, France, and Saint-Denis, its northern suburb. Beginning at 21:16 CET, six mass shootings and three separate suicide bombings near the Stade de France occurred. The deadliest attack was at the Bataclan theatre, where attackers took hostages and engaged in a stand-off with police which ended at 00:58 on 14 November.

At least 129 people were killed, 89 of them at the Bataclan theatre. A further 352 people were injured by the attacks, including 99 people described as being in a serious condition. In addition to the civilian casualties, seven attackers were killed and authorities continued to search for any accomplices that remained at large. Prior to the attack, France had been on high alert since the January 2015 attacks in Paris that killed 17 people, including civilians and police officers. At 23:58, French President François Hollande announced a state of emergency, the first since the 2005 riots, and placed temporary controls on the country’s borders. The first citywide curfew in Paris since 1944 was also put in place.

On 14 November, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL or ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attacks. ISIL’s motive was claimed by the group to be retaliation for French involvement in the Syrian Civil War and Iraqi Civil War. Hollande said the attacks were organised from abroad “by Daesh,” a pejorative Arabic acronym for ISIL, “with internal help,” and described them as “an act of war.” The attacks were the deadliest to occur in France since the Second World War, and the deadliest in the European Union since the Madrid train bombings in 2004.

LINKS

French investigators identify Oussama Atar, a Syria-based extremist of dual Belgian and Moroccan nationality, as suspected coordinator of Paris and Brussels attacks - AFP

French investigators identify Oussama Atar, a Syria-based extremist of dual Belgian and Moroccan nationality, as suspected coordinator of Paris and Brussels attacks - AFP

France's Justice Minister Jean-Jacques Urvoas says country to exit state of emergency 'at the end of the month' - RMC, BFMTV

France's Justice Minister Jean-Jacques Urvoas says country to exit state of emergency 'at the end of the month' - RMC, BFMTV

Paris terror investigation documents reveal intelligence failures, missed opportunities to stop attacks - NBC News

Paris terror investigation documents reveal intelligence failures, missed opportunities to stop attacks - NBC News

Brother of Paris attacker sentenced to 9 years in jail - Reuters

Brother of Paris attacker sentenced to 9 years in jail - Reuters

Lawyer: Paris suspect Salah Abdeslam charged with terrorist murders and using bombs, weapons - AP

Lawyer: Paris suspect Salah Abdeslam charged with terrorist murders and using bombs, weapons - AP

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam detained in Belgium has been handed over to French authorities - DH

Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam detained in Belgium has been handed over to French authorities - DH

Brussels bombing suspect Osama Krayem also charged over Paris attacks, Belgian federal prosecutors say - Reuters

Brussels bombing suspect Osama Krayem also charged over Paris attacks, Belgian federal prosecutors say - Reuters

British police have bailed 1 of 5 people arrested last week on suspicion of preparing acts of terrorism, West Midlands Police say; arrests linked to Paris, Brussels attacks - Reuters

British police have bailed 1 of 5 people arrested last week on suspicion of preparing acts of terrorism, West Midlands Police say; arrests linked to Paris, Brussels attacks - Reuters

UK terror arrests Friday related to Paris, Belgium attacks, suspect Mohamed Abrini, says British security source - NBC News

UK terror arrests Friday related to Paris, Belgium attacks, suspect Mohamed Abrini, says British security source - NBC News

Belgian federal prosecutors confirm Mohamed Abrini is Brussels Airport 'man in hat' suspect - Reuters

Belgian federal prosecutors confirm Mohamed Abrini is Brussels Airport 'man in hat' suspect - Reuters

 

 


 

About The Author

Emergency Live

Emergency Live is the only multilingual magazine dedicated to people involved in rescue and emergency. As such, it is the ideal medium in terms of speed and cost for trading companies to reach large numbers of target users; for example, all companies involved in some way in the equipping of specialised means of transport. From vehicle manufacturers to companies involved in equipping those vehicles, to any supplier of life- saving and rescue equipment and aids.

Related posts