EMS JOB SEEKER – South Sudan Head of Programmes (medical)
Deadline: 10 July 2016
Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
Job Location Based at Country Office in Juba with frequent travel (approximately 50-75% of working time) to Field Offices in Tambura and Nagero (Western Equatoria State) and Wau (Western Bahr el Ghazal),.
Closing Date Application Sunday, July 10, 2016
Interviews are scheduled for: Thursday, July 14th and Friday, July 15th, 2016
The overall objective of Johanniter International Assistance’s programme in South Sudan is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of people. Johanniter’s interventions aim to improve the provision of and access to quality primary health care and to support the improved nutrition status of children under five, pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people. Furthermore, the improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene is an essential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme.
Since 2011, Johanniter is active in South Sudan providing Primary Health Care services to underserved communities where access to basic health services is scarce. To date, Johanniter directly implements a health projects in Nagero and Tambura County, both in Western Equatoria State, as well as Nutrition and WASH projects in Western Bahr el Ghazal, in addition to Food Security and Livelihoods projects in partnership with local and international NGO partners.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Country Director, through the Project Coordinators (located in the three field offices), the Head of Programmes will be responsible for the management, implementation and coordination of Johanniter programme and projects in South Sudan, as well as assessing possible new project areas. He/she will directly assist the Country Director in liaison and networking with other organisation and potential donors.
Reporting to: Country Director South Sudan (first level supervisor)
Head of Africa Desk, Berlin (next level supervisor
managing: Project Coordinators (based in field offices)
Receives technical advice from: Public Health Advisor, Berlin
Standing in for: Country Director South Sudan/ Project Coordinators
Replaced by: Country Director South Sudan
- Design, plan and coordinate all projects in the course of humanitarian aid and development cooperation in line with beneficiary needs, national policies as well as Johanniter and donor programme objectives and international standards;
- Supervise and ensure the effective and efficient implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all project activities through the Project Coordinators, ensuring the integration with all relevant clusters and sectors;
- Review country context and situation, identify and analyse gaps, carry out needs assessments, draft new project concepts in coordination with the team members;
- Acquire donor funding, provide timely and adequate documentation, reports and proposals (financial and narrative) to HQ, donors and authorities;
- Represent the organisation towards government authorities, donors, local authorities, UN and other organisations concerning the development and implementation of the programme;
- Support field teams (including coordinate and represent them at Senior Management Team), support the recruitment of consultants and national project staff;
- Provide technical guidance to Project Coordinators, support programme evaluations and strategy development;
- Work within the local infrastructure to ensure the programme is sustainable and, if appropriate, that operations are effectively handed over to local partners;
- Control and monitor finances of the projects, in cooperation with the Finance Officer prepare amendments and new budgets; Ensure proper and adequate resource management of the projects (budget, HR, equipment etc.);
- Supervise medical supply chain in cooperation with Project Coordinators and Logistics
- Frequent tup in a participatory manner with the team;
- Assist the efforts of strengthening team contribution and commitment toward achieving the goals of the organization;
- Assist and response actively and positively to the tasks of the Country Director as and when it requires according the priority of the organization.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
Medical degree and MSc Public Health with relevant working experience in humanitarian aid and development programmes
- At least 5 years of professional experience implementing public health (including WASH and nutrition) programmes for international NGOs;
- At least 5 years of hands-on and direct experience in project development, coordination and management, including project accounting, management of donor funds (UN, ECHO, USAID, DFID, pooled funds, etc.);
- Experience in working with local health and nutrition authorities; first-hand experience working in the health, nutrition and WASH sectors, including health systems strengthening;
- Experience in networking with international partners and donor liaison;
- Proven experience in acquisition of donor funding, proposal- and report writing;
- Experience in working in insecure complex emergency settings;
- Experience in conducting medical assessments and evaluations;
- Experience in carrying out trainings and capacity building of staff and partners;
- Working experience in South Sudan desirable.
- Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid;
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills;
- Clear vision on program development;
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in a remote location in an unstable security environment; prepared to travel extensively to project locations;
- Human resource and team management skills, cultural sensitivity, good communication skills
- Common sense and being proactive;
- Fluency in English required, German an asset.
Terms and Conditions
Start date: asap
Contract duration: definite contract for one year (with possible extension)
J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits (for international postings):
- per month) (for expats not falling under
international insurance package
29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
yearly home flight (for contracts >= 1 year)
- Per diems for days in project country (currently 44€ per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Head of Programmes (medical) – South Sudan” in the subject line of your e-mail and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.