Emergency kit: do you know how to prepare it? Are you ready to face a disaster?
Hurricane, Tornadoes, Floods, Typhoons: any kind of disaster you can face in your life, you can be prepared in a minute, if you will follow the international rules for resiliency and preparedness.
Get a kit. Make a plan. Be informed.
An emergency situation can occur in any moment, and when we less expect it. Earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, wildfires, flashfloods. All of these cases are very dangerous and unpredictable for any of us. That’s why is so important to know what to do in case, but mostly, what to prepare if we are forced to leave our house.
As a first step is essential to have a 1-3 days disaster emergency kit. If your family is composed by other members, be sure that each component has its own emergency kit. You must surely have a backpack or a bag, to carry the kit elements with you.
An example of emergency kit
First step: build up a kit!
It must contain:
- Water: 1 gallon per person each day;
- Non-perishable food: well preserved and easy to prepare (canned food, snaks, dry biscuits, etc);
- Manual can opener;
- Cellphone with chargers
- Portable radio (to know important communications);
- Extrabatteries for your tools (in particular for the flashlight and for your radio);
- First aid kit: in particular bandages, strips, hydrogen peroxide (to disinfect);
- Copy of personal documents: proof of address, deed/lease to home, insurance policies, proof of identity);
- Copy of special medicines documents (prescriptions);
- Blocknotes and pen;
- Personal hygiene items (soap and towel);
- Isothermal blanket (to protect you from cold and low temperatures);
- A map of surrounding areas (in case of floods and earthquakes, it is not predicted that places look the same);
- Lighter (at least 2);
- Multipurpose tools;
- At least 1 change of clothes;
You may also need:
- Baby supplies: bottles, baby food and diapers;
- Games for children;
- Comfort items;
- Pet supplies: collar, leashes, ID food, bowl and medication.
The second step is: make a plan!
Meet with your household and prepare for emergencies. Identify a standard behaviour to have during any case of emergency and figure out what to do in case you get separated. Identify responsibilities for each person of your family and in case some of you need special accomodations, figure out how and who could help. In addition, choose an out-of-area person to contact in case of emergency.
Choose a place or more places to meet:
- near your home (in a precise point, whether it’s possible);
- in a specific place in the nighborhood;
Last, but not least, third step: stay informed!
It seems ordinary, but in case of disaster situation, it’s not so easy to keep on following news. First, you may have no electricity to charge your smartphone, or watch the television. Or you may not have the possibility to connect to the internet, because lines are inactive or because too many paople are using the internet in the same time. That’s why a portable radio with extra batteries (as in the list above) can be very useful in such cases.
In case of wildfires, main tipps will turn to be very useful! Read the main 10 tipps to stay safe in case of wildfires!be_red_cross_ready_brochure_2018